Most classes will proceed as follows:
- 10-30 minutes of stretching and warm up
- 1 hour of drilling techniques
- 1 hour of “rolling” and/or sparring
Some days we also do conditioning for up to 30 minutes at the end of class. Some days we spend more time rolling, other days we spend more time on techniques, classes may vary.
- Please arrive to class early or on-time.
- No shoes on the mats.
- Treat your instructor and class mates with respect and courtesy.
- Please turn off all cell phones / electronic devices.
When you come to train, it is recommended that you:
- Wear proper attire:
Gi: If you are new to BJJ and do not have a Gi, you may loan one for a while. But if you continue training you will eventually need to invest in your own Gi. (Ask the instructor for more information.)
No- Gi: There are brands and types of athletic wear specific to grappling which are recommended, but not necessary; board shorts or sweat pants and a t-shirt will work.
- Wear protective gear: mouth guards, sports cups / jockstraps, sports bras, and wrestling headgear are all recommended.
- Bring a water bottle.
- Remove all jewelry.
Hygiene is of critical importance at any gym, particularly BJJ Academies:
It is recommended that you shower and brush your teeth before training, and shower again soon after training as well, as this is courteous to your gym partners and also improves the sanitation of the academy.
Please make sure that your finger and toe-nails are kept short and well-groomed.
It is also important to wash your Gi and training clothes frequently.
The mats must be sanitized and mopped after each class, please don’t forget to help out!